About My Tiny Little Mind

So, we finally come to the real reason for gathering some of my lifework into a website and a blog. 

It’s the first of what I’m calling my “Legacy Projects.” I think we all come to a point in our lives where we think as much about what we will leave behind as we do about what is ahead. It’s not really defined by a particular age, but more by the idea of “generativity” or “planting a tree under which you know you will not sit.”  It’s about wanting to give something to the world beyond yourself and your own life.

Part of it for me is knowing that because of when they came into my life, my children may go through some of their biggest transitions, challenges and losses when I’m no longer here to help them. It’s my promise to share what I’ve learned along the way with them and their children.

The name of this blog comes from something my mother told me long ago. As a highly extroverted child, she said “You used to drive me crazy when you were little, following me around from room to room, telling me everything that crossed your tiny little mind!”

I’ve learned over the years that not everything that crosses an extravert’s “tiny little mind” is worth sharing! So I want to temper this blog with a little bit of a Quaker spirit. In Quaker worship (or the Religious Society of Friends as most call themselves today) silence (waiting worship) is the norm until you have something worth saying, or more importantly, worth hearing. I hope to share things that have crossed my tiny little mind over the last several decades, but with a good Quaker Spirit.

So it’s not a traditional blog meant to comment on current events or daily living on a regular basis. It’s really a random collection of thoughts I would like to pass on to my children, even if they don’t read them until they’re 50 years old! Between now and then, I’ll post from time to time, as the “Spirit” moves and trust that they will find their way home, someday. 

Comments

  1. Through my ancestry work and stories ( told over and over again to my children and maybe some will stick) I think I'm trying to leave some record of our family for future generations. A family tree is interesting but the stories are a more powerful link between the past, present and future.
    J

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word

Tom Sawyer's Funeral